How to Import Prospects with a CSV File
One of the most important setup steps of a successful campaign is importing your CSV list of prospects and ensuring you've mapped your fields correctly. In Mailshake, you'll import prospects when creating a campaign - you don't have to import them before. This makes it so much easier to organize your campaigns. 🙌
Let's get started! 😄
- First, give your CSV a quick once over and check to make sure it's formatted correctly. Follow our guide to ensure you're all set.
New Campaign - Head to the
Campaigns page and click
+New Campaign - name your campaign and make edits to your settings, then click
OR Existing Campaign - Select your Campaign, then click Add Prospects
Drag and drop your CSV file - or click
Choose File to locate the file on your computer
Next, you'll want to make sure to map select columns to Mailshake fields. Let's walk through a few helpful pointers:
- Updating Existing Prospects 🙋
- To overwrite old information for your prospects, select Add and update
- If you only want to add new info, but keep existing info the same, select Add only
- Full Name column or First and Last Name columns
- If you have a First and Last Name column, Mailshake should pick this up automatically, but you can also click the drop downs to select the correct column name
- If you have a Full Name column click the "Does your import have a "full name field instead of first/last/?" link
- Custom Fields aka "Other Fields" ✅
- Make sure to select any other columns you want to import as fields to Mailshake. You'll be able to use these as Text Replacements for customizing emails automatically.
- Greyed out checkboxes mean the column was mapped in section 1, 2, or 3 above.
- Scroll down to make sure you've reviewed all of the available fields for import.
- Updating Existing Prospects 🙋
- Click Import Prospects to finish the import. If you're importing a big file it can take a few minutes to process, so treat yourself to a quick cup of coffee or tea 😉☕️
Review your prospects - depending on your import, you may see a few different things listed on this page
- Prospects In Another Campaign - By default, Mailshake will import these prospects. But if you don't want to import prospects that are in another campaign, you'll have the option to click Remove so they're not imported
- Unsubscribed Prospects - Mailshake will not import these prospects. If you believe the prospect shouldn't be unsubscribed, you'll need to remove them from your unsubscribe list.
- List Cleaning 🧼 - We highly recommend that you use the Mailshake list cleaner! If you're on our Email Outreach or Sales Engagement plans you get credits included each month!
- Email Outreach gets 5,000 List cleaning credits = 5,000 emails verified
- Sales Engagement gets 10,000 List cleaning credits = 10,000 emails verfied
- Check out our List Cleaner Guide for best practices and more
Next and then select any
- By default, Mailshake will enable Open and Click tracking
- Schedule this send - this is great for when you're working on a campaign, but you don't plan to launch the campaign until a certain date or time. Keep in mind, this scheduled time will not override your Sending Calendar Rules.
If you're creating a
New Campaign you'll see a
Sequence page which will take you to the next step in the campaign wizard.
If you're adding prospects to an Existing Campaign, click Next to review individual personalizations
- This is just for the option to add manual customizations and you don't need to personalize each individual message
- Click Confirm Prospects to complete the import
- Congrats, you've successfully imported your prospects! 🎉
- The correct spreadsheet formatting - Click here to access our template
- Mapping fields for text replacements and CRMs
- Checking for prospects in other campaigns and generic email addresses
CSV Import Video Guide ⏯
In the video, we walk you through the CSV setup steps that will make your import successful and help your campaign run smoothly: