My CSV file isn't being accepted
If you're trying to import your CSV for the first time, view our CSV Import Video Guide.
If you're running into issues when importing your CSV, likely there's a formatting issue that's causing an error when trying to import.
First, make sure that you're importing a .CSV file not an Excel file (.XLS or .XLSX) or other type of spreadsheet file. Click here to view our guide that walks through exporting your spreadsheet as a CSV.
Use this checklist below to make sure your CSV is setup properly:
- Make sure to include a Header Row. The very first row of your CSV file will need to be a header. The header is used to tell us what is in each column.
- NO punctuation in header row. Avoid all punctuation in your header row. This includes (. : / ? _ - )
- NO paragraph text or new lines in cells. Cells cannot include multiple lines or line breaks in cells. All text in one cell needs to be on one line.
- This is harder to visualize in Microsoft Excel. If you're using Excel, here's a guide that shows you a quick way to remove those line breaks: Removing Line Breaks/Carriage Returns in Excel
- NO empty rows or columns. Remove any rows or columns that don't have any data in them.
- Confirm your file was exported as a CSV file and not just a spreadsheet renamed with a ".csv" extension
- File is be 1 MB or smaller. If your file is too large, remove extra columns, blank rows, and split your file into separate files under 1 MB.
- Each Row must have 1 email address. Remove any rows with missing email addresses and separate any rows with multiple email addresses in one cell
Here's an example of a nicely formatted Prospect List below. Just make sure to export your file as a CSV before importing to Mailshake and you're in business!