Copywriting best practices to increase deliverability
Email sending cadence
We strongly recommend starting slow with a new email address, and working up from there. Be consistent as much as possible with volume and sending schedule. Too much too soon and you’ll likely get flagged.
Follow a system that looks something like this:
- Week 1: 50
- Week 2: 85
- Week 3: 100
- Week 4: 150
- Week 5: 250
- Week 6: 380
and so on…
There isn’t a rule or exact number. It’s a matter of testing and evaluating. If you ever hit Google’s quota, or start seeing bounces higher than 5%, we recommend to step back to the previous limit and wait for another week.
Above all, once you find a sweet spot, be consistent as much as possible with volume and sending schedule. Too much too soon and you’ll likely get flagged.
Increasing reply rates
At this point, your domains and email addresses are warmed up, have a good reputation, and are landing on inboxes. You see high deliverability rates and low bounce rates. Yet, for some reason, you are not getting high response rates.
There are several reasons you might experience high deliverability rates and low reply rates, and consequently not as many meetings or sales as you’d hope for. While many factors can be at play here, many of these are within your control.
At the end of the day, generating more replies is a long-term process of developing a strategy and writing engaging copy. The following guides are a good place to start for you to improve the performance of your campaigns:
- The Cold Email Masterclass - 8 chapters on building a cold email strategy and writing effective copy.
- The Cold Email Academy - video series on more technical aspects of cold email strategy.
- 15 Cold Email Templates To Generate More Lead - More than just a few copy/paste templates. This article shows you how to use templates, and how to create your own.
- Cold Email Subject Lines: 12 Best Practices + 38 examples - The best email copy is useless if people aren't opening your emails. Follow these best practices and get inspiration from these subject line examples.
- How to Write a Follow-up Email After No Response - follow-ups are essential to effective cold outreach. This guide walks through everything you need to know to follow up effectively.
- 16 Follow-Up Email Subject Lines to Steal for Your Next Campaign - follow-ups don't need to stay on the same email thread. These subject lines can help start a conversation.
When it comes to signatures for your emails, keep it simple. Include the information you need to include and nothing else. Our Head of Sales & CS Luiz Cent covers the basics in this video.
Below are examples of signatures our own sales team use:
Head of Sales